To an outsider, video codecs can seem almost impossible to understand. But, in reality, the main concepts behind programs or devices aren’t so convoluted, particularly when an expert takes the time to break the meanings down for the video creator. Filmmaker David Kong has created an excellent video tutorial that does just that. He goes into detail about the different types of codecs, containers and compressions, and gives the viewer examples in action. Among the topics covered are:
- What a codec is – and the difference between a codec and a container
- The different types of codecs
- The difference between Raw, compressed, and uncompressed video
- How to calculate bit rates
- The main differences between kbps/kBps/Mbps/MBps.
- Bit Depth – What it means and why it matters.
- Spatial Compression and Blocking
- Temporal Compression
- How image compression differs from data compression
Read more at www.reelseo.com